A go-to backpack is one of the essential gears that you should have if you love outdoor adventure. Whether you enjoy hiking, mountain biking, or a day on the slopes, you will need a backpack that can easily go with your adventure and can carry anything that you must-have for a daytime adventure. Most people are looking for packs that can accommodate enough food and water for a day out, a first-aid kit, an extra layering piece or two, a headlamp, and a few other accessories.
While for the price of the product, it will depend on the technical features as well as hauling abilities. Going for the cheaper one, you will have a backpack that is great in carrying light stuff. While going with the expensive packs, you will have a more complex suspension that is perfect for a better fit as well as support.
However, choosing whether to go with the cheap packs or an expensive one is not the only concern that you will have if you are looking for the best day hiking backpack. There are more factors that you have to checkout. If you are still not aware of the different things that you must know about a hiking pack, this guide will help you a lot.
As part of your plan of going for a day-hike with your family or friends, you need to find a reliable pack that will carry your equipment throughout the daytime. Most of the time, you would prefer to have a light, comfortable product and a product that comes with enough or even extra space for your needs. But the problem is finding the right pack is not easy. It can be a daunting task if you will not do your research and seek some help.
To help those people who need some help in finding packs that they can use for a day-hike, we have gathered some expert advice and came up with this list of top 10 hike packs that you can easily find in the market. Take some time to study these products as you begin shopping for your day-hiking packs.
The 10 Best Day Hiking Backpack
Some of the exciting reasons why people enjoy hiking are because of the incredible views and remote trails. These two sets as their rewards for a day of sweat and sometimes, bruises, as they go backpacking in the wilderness. Since day hikes can push you to your limits, you need to have a backpack that can conveniently keep up with your pace of any adventure.
This is what Teton Sports Scout 340-0 is all about. This is a high-quality backpack filled with different features such as compression straps, sleeping bag compartment, and multiple compartments as well as pockets for strategic packing. For your comfort, the Scout 3400 comes with padded shoulder, waist, lumbar straps that help carry the load, and padded back panel for optimal airflow. Everything in this pack was designed with you in mind. When you try checking some reviews, you can easily tell that Scout 3400 is one of the hike packs that will help you in enjoying every outdoor advent.
- The product’s padded waist straps come with wide locking hip straps.
- A sturdy 600D ripstop as well as Oxford Canvas shell.
- The front compression straps were added to secure the sleeping bag, tent, or pad.
- For long item storage, you can use the side and lower gear loops.
- It also features large side zippered water bottle pockets and weather-guard zippers.
- Shoulder straps that are adjustable, contoured, and padded.
- The pack’s aluminum stays are very easy to reach whenever an adjustment is needed.
- It comes with a separate sleeping bag compartment that you can use for easy sleeping gear access.
- Hydration pack ready up to 3 liters.
- With Scout 3400, you get a hiking gear that is very comfortable because of many reasons. One, it comes with generous padding. Two, it can fit perfectly with an adjustable harness. Three, it features thick straps and hip belt.
- Integrated rain cover that can protect all your stuff inside the gear.
- Durability is always a top priority, and this Teton backpack has it.
- External hydration.
Being organized is one of the most important things if you are into hiking. Since you need to put everything that you need for day hikes inside a gear, you need to know how to fit them all while making sure that you can easily access them while you are on a trail. With this in mind, you would want a gear with many small pockets where you can put your earphones, sunglasses, or water bottle Search no more because Ogio Renegade RSS has it all for you.
This is one of those packs that will keep everything separate and secure. You even get a compartment where you can put the expensive laptop that you have been protecting every time you travel. Ogio Renegade RSS is made from 600D Polyester Pindot, and you can instantly tell that this product is tougher when compared to other urban packs in the market. Every Ogio Renegade RSS comes with many pockets that you need – 7 pockets to be exact – and the three main compartments are not included in the number.
- It comes with a dedicated laptop compartment that is armored protected. It can accommodate both 15″ and thinner 17″ laptops.
- The integrated foam panels are protecting your electronic as well as other valuables.
- The luggage handle that is passing through your rolling luggage.
- A padded pocket that perfectly fits your iPad, tablet, or e-reader.
- Tech Vault pocket that is crush-proof, and comes with soft tricot liner.
- For ultimate comfort, the gear comes with a HUB or Hybrid Unibody Back panel.
- Another padded pocket for your mouse or digital camera.
- The increased shoulder strap foam padding is making the Sweet Spot comfort zone.
- The ergonomic shoulder straps are fully adjustable, with sternum strap.
- Two zippered side water bottle pockets.
- Expandable phone pocket that is always available for quick access.
- Dual side water bottle or accessory holders.
- The product’s deluxe organization panel comes with a zippered stash pocket.
- Soft-touch padded neoprene grab handle.
- Compartments – if you are looking for a hiking gear that can offer multiple compartments, then you would love to own an Ogio Renegade RSS. With its available compartment, you can easily find a pocket where you can place every device that you have. Separating your devices is also possible because of the number of pockets that you can find in this pack. Which means it is very easy to access every device that you have while you go.
- Size – if you are planning to use this gear during plane travel, it is also very convenient because it can perfectly fit under an airline seat.
- Profile – when the gear is not fully packed, it comes with a slim profile on your back. But you don’t have to worry about bringing several valuables because this Ogio Renegade RSS can stretch out a bit too if you require a maximum space. This gear can accommodate all your gadgets as well as changing clothes during your hike.
- Protection – the pack’s two crush-proof compartments are perfect for your laptop and sunglasses. The easily accessible laptop sleeve can fit up to 17″ laptop, and it is suspended from the bottom of the gear, which means it will never touch the ground every time you are setting your gear down. This is where the name RSS or Reactive Suspension System came from.
If you want a gear that is both waterproof and submersible, YETI Panga Airtight is highly recommended for you. This is the first non-insulated piece of gear by Yeti, and it is living up to the standard of being built for the wild. You can take this duffel gear anywhere you want. Whether you are up for an extended backcountry stay, hunts that are almost seen too wild to believe, or fly fishing that takes you to the most remote rivers.
With the gear’s airtight closure, you can guarantee that it is waterproof and moisture out, while the exterior fabric of the product is as tough as nails. For an easy haul, YETI Panga Airtight features straps and accompanying lash points. With this product, you don’t have to worry about getting caught by the heavy rain while on a trail.
- This product is 100 percent dry duffel, but it is no cooler. The Hyrdolok zipper can guarantee that no amount of water can get inside your gear, and it stays bone dry, no matter how torrential it gets.
- Thick skin shell that is made from high-density nylon. While the TPU lamination helps the bag to be puncture-resistant as well as abrasion-resistant.
- The Druhaul straps for your hands or back. They are not only comfortable but durable at the same time.
- The Metal lock hardware takes on smacks as well as whacks without breaking.
- The product’s Hyrolock zippers are keeping every droplet of water or downpour of water from seeping into the gear.
- U-dock was added at the terminal end of the zipper to guarantee the complete airtight seal.
Direct Action Dragon Egg Tactical is one lightweight and versatile gear that is being offered in the market. This product was designed for the military as well as law enforcement operators. Direct Action Dragon Egg comes as a medium-sized bag and features camo and solid color selection, making it a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts and hunters.
For your winter activities, you can also get this tactical pack in snow camo – PenCott Snowdrift. Because of its camo/color selections and low profile look and feel, Direct Action Dragon Egg can be your perfect Everyday Carry (EDC) bag. If you need a heavy-duty MOLLE pack that you can use for your laptop, iPad, tablet, hydration bladder, etc. or just need a solid base for your bug out gear, Direct Action Dragon Egg is the best value for your money.
- Made from 100 percent 500D Cordura fabric, which guarantees durability.
- For the operator’s comfort during prolonged use, this product features a unique Patented CVS or Combat Vent System.
- You can guarantee that this Dragon Egg is durable, lightweight, and non-moisture, absorbing the laser-cut MOLLE/PALS system.
- The main compartment of the pack comes with internal mesh, as well as a hydration pocket.
- Two additional external water bottle pockets that come with a tight zipper system.
- For your hydration bladder, the pack comes with an additional zippered back compartment, while the padded sleeve can accommodate a laptop with a maximum size of 9.5″ X15″.
- It also comes with a paracord drag handle. It contains two 2.5m cords.
- Additional side handles are also included for your comfort and convenience.
- Bottom and side retention straps with buckles that you can use when attaching additional gears such as a tent or trail poles.
- This is a dedicated tactical pack that is recommended not only for military and law enforcement but also for your regular hiking adventure.
- You can enjoy easy organization with the product’s side pockets.
- The elastic side pockets were used for expandability, and you can place your water bottles here.
- To enhance comfort, it also features a vent system.
- Dragon Egg is very lightweight, making it easy to carry.
- For additional space, it comes with a MOLLE system.
- Dragon Egg is a very versatile pack that you can use for any purpose.
- Comes with a laptop compartment that can accommodate up to 15″ laptop.
When you need a pack that offers an excellent balance of capacity, performance, and affordability, you will be interested in discovering more about Kelty Coyote 65. Aside from its 3950 cubic inches capacity, this pack also features Kelty’s innovative PerfectFIT suspension. With its convenient access points, load-hauling capability, and an array of features, Kelty Coyote 65 makes it a perfect pack for your day, overnight, or weekend backpacking trips.
Since the product comes with the PerfectFIT suspension system, it can deliver accurate on-body size adjustments, which allow you to find your best fit in seconds. With PerfectFIT, you don’t have to measure and try different pack sizes at your shop in a local store to find the best fit for your body. Also, you don’t have to worry about purchasing a pack online and end up with a product that does not fit as soon as you try it at home. For the Kelty Coyote 65’s trustworthy support, it comes with a single lightweight aluminum stay, an HDPE frame sheet, and a horizontal anti-barreling stay.
The design of this pack guarantees stability as well as load-bearing strength while it avoids unwieldy rigidity of external frame packs. The featured hex mesh that can be found on the padded back panel, as well as waist belt, is providing excellent cushioning and ventilation. The load lifter straps help in relieving stress on your shoulder, while the adjustable sternum strap is positioning the shoulder straps across your chest to avoid chafing under the arms as well as on the shoulders.
- To keep you cool all the time, this pack comes with an AMP-Flor ventilated back panel.
- To achieve superb quality, it also comes with an advanced perimeter frame.
- Also features FIT-Pro quick and easy torso adjustment system.
- The signature wing side pockets of every pack come with pass-through functionality that is very useful in storing water bottles.
- For your need-it-now items, it features two kinds of hip belt pockets.
- To get access to your high touch items, you can use the front zippered pocket.
- Stabilizing load-filter straps.
- You get zippered access to the pack’s sleeping bag compartment.
- Take advantage of the product’s dual access to the main compartment.
- The PerfectFIT suspension system is a highlight that will make your packing easier.
- Since every Kelty Coyote 65 comes with a huge number of pockets, you can easily find a place where you can put your stuff.
This is a backpacking pack that is commonly called a beast. Do you want to know the reason behind it? Gregory Baltoro 65 is filled with ingenious organization, burly materials that will last a lifetime, a robust hip belt and harness that is molding to you the more you use it, and an included hydration sleeve that is acting as a daypack.
With all these features, it will be hard to find a pack that can go beyond a Gregory Baltoro 65. However, the drawback of this pack is it is quite heavy. So those people who are very concerned with the weight of the pack should steer clear.
- Weathershield pocket as well as rain cover integration.
- It also features shock locks with removable shock cord ice ax/trekking pole retainers.
- The U-zip access top-loading design, including a front U-zip panel that is opening from top to bottom so you can quickly access the main body contents.
- It also comes with a sleeping bag compartment for external access, including an internal divider that can be removed.
- Stretch mesh water bottle and trail stash pocket that you can use any time of the day.
- The Pre-curved QuickSwap suspension components of the pack are providing three harness options as well as five hip belt sizes. It offers 25 various fir combinations so you can get a precise comfort in each torso length.
- With the removable lumbar-tune inset, you can hone the lower back panel’s curvature so you can customize the support for your body shape.
- For the removable daypack, it is providing a combination of the ultralight pack and hydration sleeve, which is excellent for your unscheduled summit hikes and day trips.
Osprey Packs Stratos 34 is a man hike pack that is supremely durable, ventilated, and features. This product received a makeover during Spring 2017, and it is considered more than skin deep. Today, every Osprey Packs Stratos 34 features torso lengths to achieve an improved fit as well as comfort.
With its updated look, Osprey Packs Stratos 34 can be your go-to choice if you want a pack that can deliver panel-loading organization on everything. You can carry this pack for your short-day hikes or lightweight overnights anywhere, whether near or far. Worry no more when you get caught under turning weather since Osprey Packs Stratos 34 can protect your gear and pack with the help of its integrated rain cover. It’s pocketing that was smartly organized and can keep every equipment in the right place, and they can be easily accessed when you need it.
- Hip belt pockets
- Internal hydration pack
- Integrated rain cover
- Panel load access
- Sleeping bag compartment
- Side pockets that you can use in storing water bottles
- Sleeping pad straps
- Stratos harness
- Stow-On-The-Go trail pole attachment
- Stratos hip belt
- Upperside compression straps
- Tool attachment
- You can easily reach the main compartment of the pack with its dual-zippered panel.
- The zippered sleeping bag compartment comes with a bellowed divider, and it also has removable sleeping pad straps.
- Dual side compression straps for your optimum comfort.
- Take advantage of its internal hydration reservoir sleeve.
Camelbak BFM Mil Spec Antidote Hydration will tell you that it is more than just a reservoir. This product redefines the ultimate delivery system for a user’s water bottle and provides maximum adaptability for altering missions or combat environments. The Camelbak BFM Mil Spec Antidote features tube clicks that are very helpful faster refilling with auto shut-off, quick link exit Port as well as QL Hydrolock Bite valve adapter, industry’s largest opening air-light ¼ turn open/close for a fast, secure seal that will never be over-tightened, new fill Port, and lightweight, lower-profile design.
This pack comes with full clamshell to make achieve easy access to gear as well as the medial insert, ASIPS radio attachment points that are holding comms securely using the dual antenna ports, goggles, glasses, and NVG pocket with external access, and multiple drink tube exit ports so you can route your drink tube under your arm or over your shoulder. Camelbak BFM Mil Spec Antidote is guaranteed lightweight and durable as it is made from 500D corduroy fabric.
- Take advantage of its rugged and durable material.
- 100 oz Mil Spec Antidote Long, including an easy-to-clean and fill wide-mouth opening.
- Leak-proof ¼ turn cup and insulated PureFlow tube.
- QL HydroLock one-handed flow control.
- Also features patented Big Bite Valve, Drink Port, and Quick Link Exit Port.
- For secure attachment of accessory pouches, this pack comes with a low-profile composite MOLLE panel that can be found in the front area.
- You will have multiple access points to your gear because of the four zippers on the main compartment.
- The full clamshell opening is added to achieve easy access to your gear as well as MedBak insert, which you can purchase separately.
- Multiple drink tube exit ports so you can route your drink tube under your arm or over your shoulder.
- Enjoy a lightweight hike pack with shoulder harness and back-panel that are providing better load distribution as well as comfort as you carry the load towards the summit.
If you are tired of carrying around a large pack for your day-hike or other outdoor adventure, then you need to consider purchasing a Maxpedition Typhoon. This product is an EDC pack that can hold up to 840 cubic inches or 13 L and comes with multiple zippered pockets as well as pouches for your essential gears.
Maxpedition Typhoon is a pack that you can conveniently strap to your back while you cycle around or the pack you can comfortably bring with you during your day-hike. Aside from these two purposes, Maxpedition Typhoon is also an excellent choice of the working bag since it features an impressive internal and external organization. Some interesting features are a sheath pocket with Hook-and-Loop enclosure that you can use to store your flashlight or any other small tools, a zippered side pouch where you can place your smartphone, and exterior front and side PALS webbing so you can attach the Maxpedition pockets as well as accessories. For detouring theft, every Maxpedition Typhoon also features the Button-Lock security system.
- 1000-Denier water, as well as abrasion-resistant with its lightweight ballistic nylon fabric.
- The Dupont Teflon fabric protector is very effective in delivering grime resistance as well as easy maintenance.
- For low sound closures, it comes with UTX-Duraflex nylon buckles.
- The high strength composite nylon thread is known to be stronger than ordinary nylon thread that follows the industry standard.
- To achieve superior shock protection, Maxpedition Typhoon comes with #AS-100 high grade closed-cell foam padding material.
- Every Maxpedition Typhoon comes with modular webbing.
- The product has triple polyurethane coated to improve water-resistance capability.
With Vertx Gamut 2.0, you can pack all your needed accessories for your day-hike activity. This pack comes with a sleek and stylish look that you would love to have during your outdoor adventure. Vertx Gamut 2.0 features a concealed carry platform that is excellent for storing ballistic panels. With the help of its 3D molded back-panel, this pack can easily conform to the shape of your body to achieve more ergonomic and comfortable wear. Vertx Gamut 2.0 is a perfect on-the-go pack because of its endless array of zippers, compartments, zippered pockets, and many more.
- This pack is weapon-compatible as it can easily conceal it using its carry platform with loop lining, including a Rapid Access Pull tab.
- The convertible front flap can be stowed behind the loop-faced MOLLE webbing panel, providing ready access items that are mounted there. This feature will also allow you to quickly change the look of your pack.
- To prevent accidental opening, this pack snaps the flat front zipper while the G-hook straps are enabling front flap so you can convert the product to sling for bigger items.
- The main compartment of Vertx Gamut 2.0 comes with an adjustable padded laptop sleeve, two abrasion-resistant zippered mesh pockets, four gear slots, and strategically located loop panels for Tactugami as well as other hook and loop-compatible accessories.
- The modular padded laptop sleeve that can be found in the main compartment can be adjusted in size and position. It can also adapt and turn it into a print-proof protective scabbard that you can use for any weapon or sensitive hearing.
- Every Vertx Gamut 2.0 comes with a dedicated ballistic insert compartment so it can keep away the insert from your other gears while it provides protection.
- The product’s removable laptop sleeve and the hot pull tab will provide storage and fast access to SBR in the pack’s main compartment.
- Vertx Gamut 2.0 is made from lightweight material without leaving durability behind. This pack is also quieter and more breathable compared to other hike packs.
How to choose the best day hike backpack?
We all know that there is no easy trail. But if you want to bring a little comfort as you do your day-hike, having a comfortable backpack hiking is the best way to do it. If you have a bad pack, it will bring a huge discomfort for you as it limits your potential.
However, as much as you want to find the best day-hike pack, it will be difficult to determine which one is better than the other. How can you tell whether the product is a good pack while the other is a bad pack? Since there are a wide number of options in the market – with different shapes, sizes, and styles – how can you find the best pack for you?
The size of the pack is the number one factor that you must consider when choosing a day-hike pack. Every hiker has a different preference when it comes to the size of their bag, and this factor depends on their needs. While some hikers prefer a small and compact pack, others would go with a large one. When choosing the size of your hiking pack, you should consider the things that you usually bring during the hike. Avoid ending up with a too-small pack because you will never like the idea of overstuffing your bag. While with a too-large pack, you will end up underfilling it, leading to uneven distribution inside the bag. This will also end up putting too much pressure on some parts of your back, and it will give you pain after hours of hiking.
To keep away from these concerns, we recommend that you list down all the things that you will carry for your upcoming trail. You can estimate how many liters you need to look for a pack if you can do this. Your ultimate goal here is to find a pack that can offer enough room for all the things that you must have – not too small and not too big.
This is the second factor that you must keep in mind if you want to find the best day-hike pack for your upcoming trail. Since you will only use this bag for a day-hike, you would like to have a unit with a capacity of 20 to 35 liters. With this carrying capacity, you can bring all the necessary items that you must-have throughout the trail.
The most important thing for your pack capacity is the length of your trip. If you plan to join a hiking trip that will last for two days or more, you must get an overnight pack that features a capacity higher than 35 liters. For multi-day packs, they usually range between 45 liters to 70 liters since they require enough room for your hiking gear, food, water bottle, and oversight provisions. But if your hike will only last for a couple of hours, maybe for a half a day, you will be fine with a smaller gear that can hold up to 22 liters.
Now that you have thought about your day-hike pack’s size and capacity, it’s time to consider the suspension system of the product. Since backpacks hiking is fairly heavy, you must look for a pack that can fairly spread the weight across your body without pressure points. Ending up with a pack that comes with no suspension, your shoulders will be responsible for carrying all the weight of your pack, and you will feel the pain after a few hours.
The best day-hike packs come with a decent hip belt, shoulder straps, and chest or sternum strap. These straps will secure the bag as it is attached to your boy while ensuring that you never feel the weight too much. With these straps securely attached to your body, you can move around freely and more comfortably since you don’t have to worry about your bag coming loose or falling off.
When you are looking for some packs for your next trip, make sure to choose a product that features thick, padded straps so your certain body parts will never hurt no matter how long you have you carry your bag. In contrast, the strap’s thickness will help in evenly distributing the packs’ weight across the shoulders.
What is the difference between a daypack and a backpack?
This is a very common question if you are looking for day-hike packs, especially if you are new in the world of backpackers. You may have heard the term “backpack” a lot of times, especially when you are studying. However, the word “daypack” may sound new to you, and this is when you start getting curious about their difference.
Now that you are considering buying day hikes packs, you must know what makes a daypack difference from a backpack. Talking about the technical side, anything that comes with shoulder straps can be called a pack. This means a hiking daypack can be classified as a pack. However, not all packs can be called daypacks. The big difference between these two is the size. A daypack is considered a small version of the pack. It is lightweight and big enough to accommodate a few extra small items. A daypack is usually designed for short hikes.
Aside from the size, there is also a difference when it comes to the price of the daypack and backpack. According to some reviews, hiking daypacks are cheaper than packs since the latter comes in a larger size. However, if you choose some expensive brand name, then we cannot say that daypack is cheap. But the main point is the daypack has a lower price than packs. Some of the things that you can find in a backpack but not in a daypack are back frame support or internal frame and padded shoulder straps. For some users, these features may not be essential because they will only use the daypack for a couple of hours since the hike will only last for half a day. But if you enjoy the outdoor adventure and regularly hike, you may want to invest with a backpack because it can offer more space and comfort while you trail.
Getting Started with Hiking
Outdoor adventures are becoming popular nowadays, and hiking and mountain biking are some activities that you will enjoy if you love seeing the beauty of nature. But if you decide to dive into the world of outdoor adventure, you must understand some of the important concerns such as hiking daypacks and packs. These gears are essential if you wanted to enjoy your adventure, and getting the right product for you is a must.
You should choose a daypack hiking if you are only planning to do day-hikes, beach days, daily commutes, urban adventures, or coffee shop runs. You can use this gear as a carry-on, a laptop bag, or a camera bag. The daypack can be placed inside packs or larger luggage if for your short trips or short travels.
While backpacks with back frame support are recommended for around-the-world travels, multi-day camping trips, and any activities that will require heavy gear, with this type, you get a gear that comes with carrying capacity that is higher than 35 liters so you will have more rooms for your things.
How big of a backpack do I need for a day-hike?
If this is your first time to go for a day-hike adventure, it is very common to ask the size of the backpack that you must bring during the hike. Since you will be outside for a day, you must be prepared with whatever that may happen. You have to bring water, food, and other essential items that you must-have for the trail. The last thing that you would want to know is you run out of the water and trail food while you are just halfway to the summit. This is why you must be careful in choosing the backpack for a day-hike.
The recommended carrying capacity of a day-hike pack is between 20 liters to 35 liters. With this size, you will have enough space for your food, water, and other essentials that can help you to last a day outdoors.
Where to buy hiking backpacks?
The good thing about hiking packs is you can buy it from the local outdoor shop in your area. There are popular brands for outdoor packs, and most of these brands can be found in different outdoor shops. You can also order a hiking pack online. A lot of online stores are offering these products, and it won’t take you long to find a reputable store online.
Whether you are a student, a climber, or an avid hiker, you must get the best day-hiking backpack that can make your outdoor adventure more comfortable. With so many options that you can find in the market, this review will guide you to find the right pack for you.